Note From The Teachers
During the first month of school, the theme was “Welcome to PRE-K”. This was a great way to start the year because this topic introduced students to each other and to our program. We built a sense of community in our classroom by expressing and identifying our feelings and learning the names of our classmates. This month we will focus on All About Me and My Five Senses. We will learn how our senses help us explore the world around us.
In this month’s theme, students will learn
• There are five senses (taste, smell, hearing, touch, sight).
• We use our senses to understand the world around us.
• We experience and interact with the world differently when our senses such as vision or hearing are impaired.
- We use our bodies to help us to understand what is happening around us through our five senses.
Our focus questions will be:
• How do we use our body’s five senses to see, hear, taste, smell and touch?
• How do our senses help us explore, investigate and understand the world around us?
Books We Will Read
My Five Senses by Margaret Miller
-Explore the five senses with five young children.
Senses Are for Everything: The Five Senses by Katherine Hengel
-Children use their senses in real life experiences.
Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr.
-Explore the sounds of many animals.
Hands Can by Cheryl Hudson:
-Hands can do so much, come along and see.
You Are Invited To Parents as Learning Partners Event!
October 4th is our first Parents as Learning Partners day. Please join us for a fun activity in your child’s classroom at 8:10 a.m.
Sept 30-Oct 1- No School/ Rosh Hashanah
Oct 4- Parents As Learning Partners
Oct 9- No School/ Yom Kippur
Oct 14- No School/ Columbus Day
Oct 31-Ragamuffin Parade! We will be walking around the school so the children can showcase their costumes. Then we will continue our celebration in the student’s classrooms.
Music with Miss Shannon
During the first month of school we learned about our different types of voices: singing, speaking, and whispering. We also explored rhythms, melodies and movement using egg shakers, rhythm sticks and scarves. This month, we are going to begin studying musical concepts such as loud and soft, fast and slow, and high and low.