Dear Families, Welcome to unit 7: Water
In this unit, children will learn about water through hands-on explorations and observe water in their immediate environment. We will learn the properties, uses and importance of water in children’s daily lives. We will learn about substance that dissolve or expand in water. Through the activities, children will build on the information they gather about water and think about how water helps living things.
Themes & Activities
• Where can we find water?
• What happens to water when it changes temperature?
• What happens when we put things in water?
• How does water help us?
Books we will read:
Water Dance by Thomas Locker
Rain! by Linda Ashman
Snow by Uri Shulevitz
Float by Daniel Miyares
Water Can Be… by Laura Purdie Salas
Family Engagement Activities:
-Try a sink and float experiment while taking your child a bath. Have children predict if object will sink or float before experiment. Ask Why?
-While cooking or eating talk about the foods that have water in them.
-Talk about different animals that live in the water.
Building Blocks: (Math)
-Students will continue to recognize, duplicate and extend repeating patterns. They will also recognize the core unit of repeating patterns.
-They will continue to produce (Counting out) items
-Name quickly an amount of items
-Recognize shapes and their attributes
Continue to work with your child on the weekly Math activities.
TIPS FOR PARENTS
- Discuss with your children at mealtime whether there is water in the foods and beverages they eat and drink.
- Visit an aquarium to explore the animals that live in water.
- The school day begins at 8:10am and ends at 2:30pm.
**Doors open for Early Drop-Off at 7:40am
**Doors will open for dismissal at 2:20pm
- All visitors entering the school must have a valid ID and proceed to the main office.
- Attendance is an important part of Pre-K. If your child is absent, please send in an absent note.
- Please check your child’s RED communication folder daily for important notes from both the teachers and the school.
- Please check to make sure your child has an extra set of seasonal appropriate clothes. Also, provide appropriate footwear for dance and outdoor play. We are going outside every day with our little ones, even as the weather gets colder!
- March 1st – Parents as Learning Partners!
Please join us! Visit your child’s classroom and partake in classroom activities from 8:10-9:00am
- March 14th – Early Dismissal, Parent-Teacher conference.
- Afternoon session: 12:30pm-2:30pm
- Evening session: 4:30pm – 7:30pm
- March 22nd – Picture Day
- LUNCH Menu:
- Apr 3rd Last day to submit NYC School Survey!!
Take the 2019 NYC School SURVEY
**The survey helps school leaders & pre-K program leaders understand what key members of the school community say about the learning environment and the quality of education children are receiving**
Your participation is important!!