Dear Families, Welcome to Unit 3: All About Us
Children will learn about themselves by engaging in class activities to develop self-concept and self-awareness of themselves as unique individuals. Also, children will continue to practice their skills on identifying, expressing and managing their emotions through social interactions. Furthermore, children will learn about people around them, they will explore and share their cultures and recognize differences and similarities between themselves and others.
Themes & Activities
Me & the People in My Life
• What makes me important and unique?
• What feelings do I have and why?
• What makes my class important and unique?
• What makes my family important and unique?
In the next few weeks, we will continue creating projects, such as self-portraits and other activities that represent ourselves. Children will think about and express their ideas about who they are as unique individuals. We will be creating a feelings chart for the classroom and encourage children to identify a variety of emotions, such as playful, hopeful and others. Children will continue to explore their unique attributes and their roles in both their family and classroom communities.
The following ideas and activities will help extend the learning outside of the classroom and into your home. Have discussions about your family traditions or activities that make your family unique. Talk about who are the people in your family, include the extended family members who don’t live together. Value your child by inviting them to help on house chores. For example, cooking, cleaning, etc.
Building Blocks (Math):
Children will begin to learn about geometry and spatial concepts. They will begin with matching, naming, and exploring two-dimensional shapes that are familiar to them, such as circle, rectangle, square, and rhombus. They will continue to build their shape knowledge by learning new shapes and shape attributes, find them in the environment, and build them from parts.
We have partnered with The Metropolitan Opera Guild to bring Students
Compose Opera program to the Little Brooklyn Pre-K centers. Teaching Artist Elizabeth
Van Os is a soprano based in New York City. She has worked extensively in early
childhood arts education, and enjoys incorporating her background as an
accomplished opera, concert, and the choral singer into her work with children.
Elizabeth maintains a small private voice studio, and also works as a freelance
photographer. She received a MM from the Eastman School of Music and has
enjoyed working as a Metropolitan Opera Guild Teaching Artist since 2016.
TIP FOR PARENTS
When young children copy everyday household tasks, they are really learning how to contribute. With your support, tasks will soon be done with few reminders. As children grow older, they can begin to take on real responsibilities, such as:
- Setting the table
- Putting away their toys
- Feeding the pets
- Placing dirty clothes in a basket
Watch your child’s self-esteem grow when given the chance to help.
- The school day begins at
8:10am and ends at 2:30pm.
**Doors open for Early Drop-Off at 7:40am
**Doors will open for dismissal at 2:20pm
- Attendance is an important part of Pre-K. If your child is absent, please send in an absent note.
- Please check your child’s RED communication folder daily for important notes from both the teachers and the school.
- Please check to make sure your child has an extra set of seasonal appropriate clothes. Also, please provide appropriate footwear for dance and outdoor play. We are going outside every day with our little ones, even as the weather gets colder!
- All visitors entering the school must have a valid ID and proceed to the main office.
- Nov 2nd – Parents as Learning Partners!
- Nov 6th – No School, Election Day.
- Nov 7th –Wear Flannel Day.
- Nov 9th– Deadline to submit Gifted & Talented testing form.
- Nov 12th – School Closed, Veterans Day
- Nov 13th – Librarian Visits (Park Slope Library)
- Nov 15th – Early Dismissal @ 11:30 AM
Afternoon session: 12:30pm-2:30pm
Evening session: 4:30pm – 7:30pm
- Nov 19th – Professor Bread Visits
- Nov 20th – Multi-Cultural Potluck Day.
- Nov 22nd and 23rd – School Closed, Thanksgiving Recess.
- November– Submit your child’s kindergarten application online, by phone, or in person at a Family Welcome Center between late Nov and Jan 14, 2019
- Breakfast/LUNCH Menu: